Tuesday 13 November 2007

Statement

When I was invited to exhibit ‘Gathering’ and install gauze works at Mount Tomah Botanic Garden I was reminded of all my visits to the garden over the years. I recall the early days when we climbed a windswept bare hill. The energy in the wind could sweep away or invigorate. The site developed into diverse spaces, from the symmetrical formal garden, to the South garden (displaying plants which lie to the South of the equator) to the recent addition of the bog and all those wonderful spaces in between. Each area poses questions about environments. Each area informs and delights and is in constant change. The challenge of installing works in the garden is, to say something about the garden that adds to the garden, emphasises a characteristic, and enhances the experience of the visitor and the people who work in the garden. I aim to create work that takes the garden into the future, encouraging a dialogue that moves people into areas yet undiscovered and that pose questions and answers others. The Botanic Gardens Trust’s mission is ‘to inspire the appreciation and conservation of plants’ which is also one aspect of my practice. Installations in the garden will be developed from themes, materials that I am engaged with in my current practice.

No comments: